Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Writing Process Blog Tour

Ever curious about how other writers come up with their masterpieces? My favorite quotation on that topic is:

“There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.”
― W. Somerset Maugham

So true! Everyone I've met has a different method—and that's a-ok. For this blog tour, I answered four questions about my individual process...

1. What am I working on? 
Right now I’m revising a Young Adult contemporary romantic comedy. I’m also plotting a contemporary New Adult novel that I hope to write during Nanowrimo this fall, which is loosely based on His Girl Friday, a screwball comedy from the 1940s.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre? 
Contemporary works seem to be really popular right now. My work is different in that it has a screwball element not common to contemporary YA romances. Farcical situations, mistaken identities and Shakespearean-inspired situations are all fair game!

3. Why do you write what you do? 
I’ve tried writing many genres, but I feel like YA contemporary romantic comedy fits me the best. I think what writers read a lot of tends to influence the output. In other words, “you are what you read.” I’ve always loved Shakespeare and P.G. Wodehouse, which are big influences in my genre. Some of my favorite films, such as Only You, Addicted to Love and Bringing Up Baby share this element as well. Plus, I read a lot of YA. Basically, I had no choice!

4. How does my writing process work? 
In mysterious ways! I don’t feel like I’m totally in control of my process. Characters seem to name themselves, for example. I’m neither a plotter or a pantster. Basically, I write a very long skeleton draft that could include dialogue and full scenes, yet is sparse in other places. I use this draft as a road map to write the real draft.

THANK YOU, MATT!
A huge thank you to Matt Wilbur who invited me to be a part of this tour! You can visit his blog at: www.nightveil.blogspot.com. Compare and contrast the different methods and follow the wormhole through this tour to other writer's blogs.

*OOPS* FAIL!
This is the part where I was supposed to pass the baton to three other writers. Unfortunately, everyone I asked had already done this or was too booked to participate. But if you want to join in, go for it! Or comment! I'd love to hear how other writers tick.