Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New revision toolkit

Revision sucks. Yes, I know some of you like it. You think that's where the magic happens. Ya da ya da ya da. But some people like being pregnant. Some people like egg nog. And running laps.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. I really really wish I was. I have three novels completed that need revisions. So anyway, in an effort to make this as painless as possible, I made a revision toolkit! It's my go-to box of things for when revisions get...uncomfortable and I need to comfort myself.


So far, I've included:

1) Chocolate (obvious choice, but a staple nonetheless). I chose this Oaxaca bar by Vosges with guajillo & pasilla chilles, courtesy of Santa.

2) An orange Sicilian candle (because I'm Italian and I might need some aromatherapy)

3) Ultra soft socks

4) Music! I chose Ingrid Michaelson's Human Again CD. Plus, I created a revision playlist on Spotify.

5) The Elements of Style Illustrated (because grammar is more fun with pretty pictures)


And finally...

6) A knitted gnome for good luck!


Now I'm prepared so I have no more excuses. I better just suck it up now.

Ok, here I go...

Yup. I'm going to start revising now.

La la la la.

This blog post is really over, isn't it?

What would you put in your revision toolkit? Or are you one of those lucky ones who loves revisions?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so cute! I wouldn't say I love revision but I definitely find them more *satisfying* than drafting. In my kit... I think I'd like a download of mac freedom to keep me away from the distractions of Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen. I've been wanting to try mac freedom for a while too. I'm also terrified to try it! Hopefully, I come over to your side soon and start finding revisions satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance, I thought the socks were slices of bread...thinking "strange to keep sliced bread in her kit; even stranger that it's not in a baggie of some sort." And then I realized that was kind of ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that ridiculous! I find bread very comforting, especially with olive oil. Though a baggie would be good.

      Delete